Thanks to the few days I had unplugged from the 'net, I am at a good pace of edits for my novel.
What's been most helpful is creating my plot outline that is based on a tried and true plotline, that of the Hero's Journey. I'd known that my MC was on a journey, but what I hadn't realized was how closely her journey was resembling a classic hero's journey. I guess we write what we know, even when it's way down deep. I've always loved a good journey story, but not always the fanciful ones, so it seems- that's what's coming out.
Once I started filling in the details that I already knew from the story- the full picture was clear. And better yet? I was most of the way there. And the ending, which has always been the most elusive part, is finally sorted out. I wanted it to be a "happy" ending but it needed to feel realistic, too. My MC's life is not a fairy tale and it needed to feel resolved but without the cutesy pretty bow packaged ending.
And just like I seem to find a verse to encourage or inspire me when I need it most, I had a host of helpful articles to encourage and inspire me thanks to the most recent issue of Writer's Digest. (I don't ever find these coincidental, fully acknowledging and grateful that God knows what I need before I do.)
I'm roughly on-track for my WIP to have finished my edits (this round anyway) and to be editor-ready by August 11, my deadline- because I'd like to have it pitch-able by the FaithWriter's Conference. This will also allow me a couple months to revise and tweak it some before the October deadline for the PageTurner contest.
I hope that my recent bout of productivity is inspiring you to dig in with your own work. I'm hoping for a lot of good competition in October. (Yes, I mean it. If my friends put their best forth, and mine still does well- it means it's worthy of any praise it gets. If only a few enter and it's not their best work- then it makes any praise mine would get, less valuable. That makes sense to me anyway.)
There'll be a few guest posts in the next few days and I'll update my goals, but it'll be quiet here for a while. The most likely culprit will be that increasing edited word count over on the right.
Be well, write well friends.
1 comment:
You're doing GREAT, Lynn! Praying as you keep working.
Hoping to enter page turner too - will see.
Post a Comment