Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Goals Met? Big Fat Goose Egg

It was bound to happen sometime. The utter incompletion of every goal I set for myself. And now that the months of June & July have passed, I see that this sometime was then. And these goals slipped by without so much as a second thought.


'Goose Egg' photo (c) 2009, Carly Lesser &  Art Drauglis - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/June/July Goals:

Raise edited word count by 30K.
Actual edited word count accomplished- 0, except for the 1st chapter I reworked to see if keeping the main character's future love interest out of it, or mostly out it, made it flow better. Which if used, would reduce the existing edited word count by a few hundred words.

2 blogs posts.
Okay. It seems I managed this, but it wasn't what I meant to do. Most of them were because I was distracted and doing something other than editing my novel. But, 12 posts in June & July is a lot more than 10, though my feeling is- it would have been a better use of my time if I hadn't blogged. But such is my life.

1 extra-curricular fun writing project.
Wow. Really bummed I didn't at least do this.

So, what happened? You ask. Why didn't you get anything you wanted done? There were some practical reasons- we had loads of visitors this summer and finding spare time to write just didn't happen. Having three children, who don't nap, at home all day long doesn't lend itself to writing time. And...the sad but true factor, my discipline flies out the window in summer. It shouldn't, but somewhere in me that kid who learned summers were for goofing off, is very determined that even as a grown-up, that should be the case. And, with the added loss of my Saturdays (we run a vacation rental and Saturdays are our turnover days)... and planning/partly planning 3 worship services... well... I gave into the lazy, undisciplined beast.

And I'm paying for it, too. The FaithWriters' Conference is but days away and I don't have a novel I can pitch. Maybe that's okay. Take some of the pressure off, and just enjoy the conference. But I feel like I've let myself down and let down others who really do expect this novel to come to fruition.

All bummer-feelings aside, it is a new month and a new chance to live up to my goals, hence, August's goals.

August Goals:
-Edit Back of My Hand like crazy, PageTurner is less than 3 months away
-1 blog post of substance, probably a review of the conference but that'll count
-1 fun writing project... probably the WOW contest.. .we'll see, maybe a challenge :)
-Start getting PageTurner elements together

To all of you who met your summer goals and then some-- kudos.
To those who have watched summer slip, with their goals, right through their fingers-- my commiseration.

Let's dig in and tackle our August goals together shall we? It'll be like going back to school.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear.

1 comment:

Joanne Sher said...

We ALL have months like that. Really. Praying for August. June and July are water under the bridge. Got it? :) See you soon!!